Thursday, December 15, 2011

What branch of military would be best to go into to get schooling as a Computer/Software Engineer?

I am really interested in joining the military but I still want to further my education in Computer Software Engineering (I have 22 college credits so far but very little are major specific). Most of my computer and programming knowledge is self taught but all of my professors say I am a natural. I don't want to give up this 'talent' by joining the military so what branch would embrace my skills and let me further them for the better of my country?|||It used to be the Air Force was the lead in "cyberspace"...but things have kinda changed since 9/11. The truth is you will be able to use your skills in any branch of the military. With the huge push towards joint force operations, especially in IT, in the military today youll be doing very similar things (when in an "operational" environment) as an enlisted person in all five branches.


If you dont want to "waste" your talent I suggest looking into billets in the new cyberwarfare command soon to stand up, after you enlist.


Like I said,the high speed "war fighting" type of missions are all joint force....what you need to consider is which branch best fits your lifestyle and personality... also youll need a TS clearance to do most cool it jobs so dont do anything stupid while you make your decision ;)


And if you arent doing high speed (warfighting/force protection/intel) type stuff youll be doing support....then the only difference is whether you want to troubleshoot workstations on a boat, on an airbase, or overseas....


(This is the reality, I don't know where some of these guys come up with their ansewers..."technology per capita"?!? srsly...wtf)


As far as finishing your education goes, all the branches offer basically the same educational opportunities. The only one that is a little differnet is the Air Force, with their Community College of the Air Force, but I think that is mostly for associates level work.


Good luck.|||Air Force or Navy. Good luck|||logistics in air force|||There are a lot of positions within the military which use computers and software but very few which utilize software engineering specifically and those would be more reserved for senior personnel.





If I were to make a recommendation of which branch(es) you might consider pursuing it would be in this order.





1. Navy


2. Air Force


3. Army


4. Marines


5. Coast Guard





The Navy and the Air Force use the most technology per capita (personnel) with the Army and the Marines using the least per capita because they need boots on the ground. I would go talk to both of those branch Recruiters and ask them what options they have for you.





One indication of what will be available to you, in terms of training and schooling within the military, is to take the ASVAB exam (if that's what they're still calling it). It's the standard military entrance exam.





Should be easy enough for you. I scored a 98 on mine and it opened up all kinds of opportunities for me.|||Navy, or Air Force. They are both known for their high tech capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment