Monday, December 12, 2011

What made you decide to join the military branch you joined over the other military branches?

What did you see in your military branch that you didn't see in others?|||Originally, I was looking for college money - so I didn't have a degree. I wanted to be in the action - but without a degree, I couldn't be a fighter pilot, so the Air Force was out. I didn't want to be brainwashed so that left out the Marine Corps (don't judge... it's what I thought at the time. I learned since then that I was wrong!). I considered the Navy, but if something goes wrong, I may be a strong swimmer, but there are oceans that are THOUSANDS of miles across, so they were out. That left the Army - and I became an Infantryman.





After several years and some urging from a good friend, I got out and moved to the Coast Guard. I like the military lifestyle, but the Coast Guard treats our members more like people instead of just numbers.





I never regretted my decision, and will soon retire from my career - and it's been a blast!|||For me it was job selection. I wanted to be a door gunner on a helo. The army did not offer that position. I was originally going to join the army when i was looking to enlist, but the Marines offered the exact job i was looking for. Other people join branches because of the living conditions, or the hope of traveling. I think that's dumb. Sure, you go home to your own dorm every night, but you hate the job you do in the morning. If you are looking to enlist, go with the branch that will guarantee you what you want to do.|||I basically used the process of elimination. I refused to be on a crappy old ship getting sea sick for months on end (this excluded the Navy). I refused to spend months being brain washed in basic training (this excluded Marines). I didn't want to end up all manly (this excluded the Army). I didn't think I was strong enough for extreme physical activity (this excluded Coast Guard). So I was left with the Air Force. I'm so happy with my decision.|||I talked to the Air Force recruiter to get avionics (aviation electronics) and they wouldn't take me because of some minor legal things. I asked the Air Force recruiter what he would recommend for avionics. He told me to avoid the Army because it is huge and you can get lost and not get what you want. He told me the Marine Corps went to Navy schools and Navy schools were the best in the military for aviation.





I talked to the Navy recruiter and he wanted me to join for 6 years. I found out, later, I could have joined for 4 years. I finally decided to talk to the Marine recruiter and he was straight forward with his answers. He even called to get my test scores to see if I could get avionics. I ended up getting exactly what I wanted. I got avionics and I flew as a door gunner in Vietnam for two tours.





I see that Cook MC was a door gunner. I never looked at the avatar close enough to realize this. Semper Fi!





Swing with the Wing! That's the Marine Corps Air Wing!|||That is simple. The capability to chose my specific job as well as the short promotion time, granted that also depends on what job you pick. Now you have to ask yourself this, what is most important to you? Do you value the high state of discipline that the Marine's are know for? Or do you admire the working with air crafts, the ability to almost nearly pinpoint your next duty station the Air Force can provide. Or do you enjoy working with a very large section on a massive battle ship? After factoring all these things and more I ultimately chose The Army. Because unlike the Navy and Air Force, we do not promote on occupational competency we promote based on how well you do at a board and points. As for the Marine's I really don't know much about them|||For me it was elimination.





I got glasses and couldn't be a pilot anymore, so I didn't want any other Air Force jobs before lasic was accepted.


I hate ships and being confined, so that left the Navy and Marines out.


That just left the Army. And I still spent a tour on fricking ship.|||Always wanted to be a sailor, would watch the ships when I was a kid.|||needed a challenge and wanted to be in the best branch so there was only one option.. oorah devil dogs|||MARINE CORPS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment