Thursday, December 8, 2011

What is the best branch of service in the military to become an air traffic controller ?

How many year would I have to enlist for? I am a former marine sergeant. I would want to join a branch that would actually let me do my job.|||The Navy. I was a Navy Controller for 6 years and talking with Controllers of other branches, I found that the Navy allows you to do every aspect of ATC instead of just doing Tower or Radar ops only. I got out in 1994 so maybe things have changed but I would go Navy. Carrier ATC is awesome. That experience cannot be found anywhere else and it boosts your confidence if you do well at it. I did it for 3 years on the USS Abraham Lincoln. I enlisted for 5 years (required), then extended for a year to get off the ship and get shore duty experience.





Most days go according to your rank of course. There are still spaces to be cleaned and watches to stand. If you're on shore duty then it's just like a job. You show up for work, get briefed, then plug in. In the Navy, you will get to do your job, but there are those days when you have to do things that have nothing to do with ATC. Good luck.|||Air Force, 4 years....but I don't believe they are taking prior service.|||Hey Marine just me, but I would up front say the Air Force, or the Navy|||The U.S. Air force.|||Navy baby.... no better place to gain experience then on a floating runway.... Don't be fooled into thinking the airforce fly's more just because of the name... i worked on a flight deck for 4 years|||I was watching PBS channel about the Navy and had Air Traffic Controller on an aircraft carrier. It was very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment