Monday, December 12, 2011

How thick is the branch chickens roost on?

I've completed a chook pen but don't know how thick (diameter) should the branch be that chickens roost on. We are planning full-size chooks, not bantams. Does it have to be round, or is square OK?|||My chickens have a branch about 1 1/2 inches diameter that they roost on. There is also a 1 1/2 inch square piece of wood framing that they roost on. I don't think it matters if its round or square.|||Thanks Winterrules. I have put bits of branch in the coop about 1.5in diameter but also added an edge to the nesting boxes, as suggested by Chicken Lady. Previously they were open on one side. They seem to be roosting on both! Graham E

Report Abuse


|||I provided tree limbs(about the size of 1 1/2 inch pipe) that I picked up at one of our local brush piles and the chickens took to "roosting" on the ledge of the nesting boxes I built. . . they never did roost on the limbs.


I have yet to see a chicken roost by holding onto a limb but by standing on the limb and I think this is why they prefer the nesting boxes as I have a ledge in front of those nesting boxes and they can stand and walk as they tend to move around during the night. . similar to turning while we sleep.


Both sets of my grandparents had chickens and I mean lots of chickens and I never saw a roosting limb in any of their henhouses. . .only nesting boxes.





Some of my hens even crouch and lay in their nesting boxes during the night.|||SORRY BE MORE SPECIFIC

No comments:

Post a Comment