Thursday, December 8, 2011

What is the best branch of the military for a woman to enter?

I don't mean what is easier for a woman. I would like to know where women will be given the most opportunities and not be held back because of their gender. I would like to use this time to pursue a college degree, if possible. Also, is there a branch where sexual harassment occurs less frequently than the others?|||Well I served in the Marine Corps, so naturally I am biased. But, they were the first military branch to fully integrate women and are the only branch that trains women to be Riflemen. So there is a pride and history they have within the Corps toward their women...they are literally viewed very, every differently than other women in general...be they other services or civilians. As a Infantry Marine I would have felt safer and more comfortable with an Female Marine in my fighting position, than a Male Infantry Soldier from the Army (Rangers excluded of course...as Rangers do lead the way.).


From what I saw of the Navy (was a Navy brat my whole life) the Navy may not be the best place for a woman...in fact, I would argue that unless you are an officer it would be the last place to look. The chAirforce is fine, if you are looking for a corporate military life and the Army would be my second choice.


Ulitmately, they will all treat you well but it depends largely on you. If you are looking to get your degree it implies you have aspirations outside the military and are using it as a launching platform for you...not a bad idea since 167 of the fortune 500 did exactly the same as you.


If you are looking for something technically minded, or science driven, than the Airforce and the Navy are the way to go. If you are looking to enter into the Corporate world, which means all of your real training will come from schooling, therefore you would need strong leadership training, than I would suggest the Army of the Marine Corps. Naturally though, I would place the heaviest emphasis on the Marine Corps. Not just because of the respect you will get from fellow Marines, but people look at a woman differently who was a Marine than the other services. One Airwoman I knew actually complained cause she felt like everyone in the world viewed her as a secretary with a gun...nevermind she was guarding an Alert Air Command Center. And being in the Marine Corps you meet a lot of Navy women...and many of them adopt the name: "Bunker Warmer," which they find destructive and demoralizing. In the Corps, women are called WMs...Women Marines, and therefore adopt other names too...Warrior Breed, Leatherneck, Hard-Charger, etc|||I would say the US Air Force. My rational is that you have branch that is increasingly involve with technical aspects of combat. This gives women the opportunity for combat exposure that they wouldn't technically be given in other branches. With that being said, any branch has combat exposure opportunities nowadays. Its just women still aren't allowed in units that are considered to be combat certain, like Infantry.|||Join the Navy.|||I concur - when I was thinking about going into the military if I didn't go to college, a relative in the Marines said I should go into the navy. Said it was the best branch for a woman.|||Try going into a Military Intelligence MOS I know if you join the army you will be sent to Fort Jackson for boot camp and it is considered by most to be the easiest one. (Hince the nick name "relaxin' Jackson")|||Air Force!|||I was never a woman, so it's a little difficult for me to tell you from personal experience.Furthermore, my outfit was all male.





But I served a couple of tours at the Pentagon and had the oportunity to meet pretty much the cream of the crop from all the services. And from my point of view, the Navy defeminizes women the least. Rather than offend anyone any further, I'll not rate them all. And, keep in mind, this is the experience of one guy over 4 years (off and on). I found the Navy women (officers... I was an officer and wouldn't dare date an enlisted woman--though I know it's done) to be refined, pleasant, and well-educated. Due respects, but some of the stuff I heard come out of the mouths of some of the women in the other services would have made a BMC blush.





Sexual harassment... I'm not going to say it doesn't happen. And I have no idea about the other services. But when men and women are in close proximity for long periods of time, things are bound to happen occasionally. Sexual harassment has grown to be so nebulous a term, looking at a woman cross-eyed can be construed by some as sexual harassment and get a guy in trouble. If you feel sexually harassed, you need to tell the guy that you find his actions inappropriate. If it happens again, tell him again, in front of a reliable witness. If it happens a third time, you and the witness make an appointment with the guy's CO. If it ever happens again, go to the CO and tell him you're going to JAG... then do it. Problem is what a woman will tolerate from one guy she may not tolerate from another. And what she'll welcome one day, will revolt her the next. Guys aren't psychic. And while "no" can mean "no," it can also mean "later," or "not yet."





As far as opportunity... one lady I dated was wont to say, "I realize I'm in what has traditionally been a man's world, and that I have to do twice the job a man has to do to get the same recognition." Then she'd get kind of a cute smirk on her face and add, "And I do it." And she did. She was a 4.0 sailor and was consistently recommended for deep selection.





This may seem like a cop out, but I think, anybody, man or woman, can wander through a career in any service unaffected. They have to be mentally tough. They need to have a good set of values. And they can't rest on gender. By that, men can't become complacent just because they're men, and women can't expect to be treated as a man when they don't meet the same criteria.





There are some jobs restricted to men. Not my call. My opinion on the matter is not PC with the military.





Women seldom see combat in the Navy. If you're an HN (Hospital Corpsman), as a woman, you might be assigned to a rescue or extraction helicopter and that can get a little .... exciting. But you won't be in a combat role. But male Corpsmen can be assigned to Marine or even SEAL units.





But they seem to get stationed everywhere. England, Spain, Italy, and, of course, the US.





If you have you feet on the ground, if you have a strong (not overbearing) personality, if you know what you want in life, and if you're not afraid of frequent change, you'll probably do ok.|||I would not join any of them. If you are looking for money for college, just apply for Student Loans or Grants. Anyone can go to college without the Military helping. But if you must go, Navy is the top of all the branches.|||Well they all orgies and lots of parties take your pick|||Air.. she will fly.. and on seeing her flying we can fly.|||The Navy, or the Air Force.





They both value brains over brawn.|||Most likely the Navy or Air Force.


Since women can do support roles and not combat roles, I see the Navy and Air Force as more support while Marines and Army as combat.


All four branch have support MOS's and Combat MOS's.





Sexual Harassment is more of a Unit issue than a Branch issue. Every unit is different, so it will all depend on the Chain of Command on how well Harassment is handled.





Even though I was in an all male combat unit, we still went to Harassment classes. We had zero females around, but we all learned to avoid and recognize harassment.|||Any other than the Marine Corps. I say this being a Marine. It is not that the Marine Corps is bad for women, but the duties of the Marine Corps are limited and a higher percentage of jobs are direct combat jobs limiting what a woman has a choice of for a MOS.





The other branches have a lot more choices in non-combat roles making your choices for a MOS better. Plus it makes promotion faster as certian feilds of MOS' that are full promote slower than ones that are not as full.





But in the end you have to decide what you want to do and choose from there.|||I've been in both the Army and the Air. Either one is great. I think its wonderful that you're willing to serve.





I will admit, I've gotten more satisfaction out of proving myself to my male counterparts in the Army than I did in the Air Force.





I've never faced sexual harassment.|||the Army|||Navy|||All branches will have some jobs that you can't do because you are a woman. However most restrictions will come from the ASVAB test score and the strength test you take at MEPS. If you get a high enough ASVAB you can get into almost anything, those jobs that are limited to men only are mostly combat jobs for which you would be deployed most of the time and that wouldn't be conducive to going to college.





While all branches offer the Montgomery GI Bill they all have slightly different rules as far as tuition assistance while you are in. You have to be in for 2 years for the GI Bill to kick in, while you can use TA right away. I got my degree while I was in the Air Force, they paid for $4500 in tuition each year. The semesters that I went full time and burned through that I had to use the GI Bill to cover the rest. Neither will pay for books.





If you are only going to enllist for four years, pick a jjob with a short tech school, as you can't attend college while in formal training. MEPS or your recruiter can help with that.





I was in an office with people from all four services and had people from all branches going to college. However, because of deployment the Army folks were all taking computer based University of Phoenix-type classes which can take a long time. The Marines and Sailors I knew were taking regular classroom classes, but some had to take semesters off for deployments and tours on ships. The Air Force, at least in the job I had (intel) only got deployed if they volunteered so it was easier to take traditional classes.





The thing to remember in any case is that whether you can take any class is dependent upon the office/unit you work in and your supervisor, as they have to sign off on your TA paper work.|||The Navy....No they just wanted to have a good career and support their family....|||Ask women who are already in the military or have been. There is more to know than you can realize.|||I spent 4 years in the MARINES. I suggest the air force for a female. I would recommend though that you decide on an MOS (military occupation specialty). Research your MOS and decide if you like the future trends and which branch will offer the best training in that job. If you are looking for some specific training look at all 4 branches and try to figure which one will give you the best opportunity.


Good Luck!!!|||Absolutely without a doubt, the Air Force.|||The Navy has great training. You might think about getting some college behind you first, then you may qualify for Officer Training.|||well my choice would be the Army,but any millitary branch would do ,because you would be defending your country and helping the ones here to live a life of freedom and be able to work everyday for the life of the families that are here and the those who have gone on before us.|||well i don't know about the most opportunities but i know of one where you won't be held back at all because of your gender...the Coast Guard. although they don't usually go to the combat zones we think of (such as iraq) women are allowed in combat. although not very likely you'd leave the coast, i knew a guy that went to the coast of Vietnam...kewl|||Try the Air Force, they are by far the best of the military components and promotions are not based on gender but on performance, knowledge and leadership skills. Can you tell I'm Air Force? I told my daughter to join the Air Force when she was first thinking about joining the military. She did what most youngsters do who try to leave the nest, not listen to her mom, and joined the Army instead. Needless to say, she has been pestering me to help her cross over to the blue uniform as she realizes what a huge mistake she made by not listening to her mom. If the blue uniform isn't for you, I've known several women who joined the Marine Corps and have stated that they know how to treat their women. They are all retired Marines with nothing but positive things to say. Good luck on whatever path you follow!|||Navy trust me it's easy and safer. I am going next year and you would have fun.|||Army or Coastguard|||As for me, I was in the Air Force, and loved it. I was able to choose my job, only had to work 40 hrs. week, because of my career. And the 4 years I was in, I suffered no sexual harrassment in any way. At Basic Training, the trainees are in classes to learn about sexual harrassments, and how to avoid them, but I never had any problems. The Air Force, also teaches you alot more in classes in basic training than the other militaries groups, which are usually mainly physical, except the Navy. The two best branches to go into are the Navy and Air Force, because they require the highest scores on the ASVAB tests, if you don't get a good enough score, you can't get in, which means only the best smartest people can get into these branches. Good luck if you do decide to go into the Military, whichever you decide, because serving our Country is a great feeling.


realme1960|||Women succeed in all branches, but i would say most notibly the Air Force.|||The best branch to enter is the finacial branch because it is realy easy it take about 13 months to learn and studdy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment